Tuesday 24 August 2010

51st Painting






Looking for inspirational resource material is a daily event for me and the photographic image I've used as a reference to this piece of work rightfully made the front page of the free paper Metro. The image shows a man and a boy knee-deep in water wading to safety near the village of Basira in the Punjab in Pakistan. The flood-ravaged country has lost villages and livestock with millions of people seeking high ground as the main Indus river burst its banks overwhelming some of the largest dams ever built. This image glows with a spiritual essence, back lit, casting a glow of white light behind the figures with the photographer's shadow spreading across the body of the man. My painting can never do justice to either the subject matter or the sad beauty captured by the camera but as I paint I can spend time considering their plight.

No comments:

Post a Comment